As college admissions decisions roll in and students decide between their available choices, it’s more important than ever for parents to remember one of their most important jobs—to model adult behavior for their children.
Here are a few examples where parents forget the importance of this role:
- Calling the admissions officer and yelling at a staff member
- Treating a denial like a tragedy
- Disparaging a classmate who was admitted
- Double-depositing at two different schools
- Acting as if the outcomes of the process are happening to you, not your student
The role might not always be an easy one to play. But your kids are watching…and learning.