At the end of every week, month, semester—your choice—give yourself an honest grade based on these metrics.
- Did you bring your best effort to class?
- Did you bring your best self to class?
- Did you try to learn the material (that’s not necessarily the same thing as trying to get an “A”)?
- Did you participate?
- Did you present as if you were genuinely happy to be there?
- Did you ask good questions?
- Did you find ways to contribute that made the class better for the teacher and/or your fellow students?
- And the most important one, are you proud of the grades you gave yourself?
Earning good grades from yourself keeps you focused on the parts you can control. And it’s the secret weapon to earning good grades from the teachers who give them to you.