Parents, will you be regularly doing any of these things for your high schooler this year?
- Making key decisions about how they spend their time?
- Arguing with the adults (teachers, counselors, coaches, etc.) in your student’s life?
- Lobbying to get them what they want?
- Checking (or even doing) their work for them?
- Cleaning up any residue from their failures?
- Securing their desired opportunities for them?
Now consider the same questions again–not whether you’ll do them this year, but whether you’ll do them forever.
If not forever, maybe this year is a good time to start stopping?