Have you read a text message or an email while you were…
1. …quarterbacking the football team?
2. …playing the flute in the orchestra?
3. …performing a cheerleading routine at halftime?
4. …giving a speech to run for senior class president?
5. …delivering your rebuttal during a debate tournament?
Of course you haven’t. The risk would be too big. What you're doing demands your full attention. And your social status probably suffers no irreparable harm when you’re unreachable during those times. The texts, emails and the people behind them are always there waiting when you’re done.
What would happen if you added studying and doing homework to your “no texts or emails during this time” list?